Preparation Checklist


You must bring all required tax documents with you to your appointment.

    • Government-issued photo ID (e.g. BC driver’s license or a passport)
    • Notice of Assessment from the previous tax year (if applicable)
    • Tuition amounts to carry forward (if applicable) – can be found on your Notice of Assessment
    • Social Insurance Number (SIN)
    • All tax slips, which (may) include:
      • T2202 – tuition, education, textbook amounts certificate
      • T4 – statement of remuneration (employment income)
      • T4A – statement of other income (often scholarships and bursaries)
      • Tax receipts for charitable donations, medical expenses – if claiming these
    • If you have a spouse or common-law partner in Canada, BOTH people need to attend the scheduled meeting
    • If your spouse or partner lives outside of Canada, you’ll need to know their global income (used to calculate your Canadian benefits and credits, e.g. GST/HST, Child Tax Benefit)
    • Newcomer to Canada? You need to know your arrival date, global income that same year, and “residency status”
    • International Student? It’s your responsibility to know your “residency status” for tax purposes