Over my years in university, I have learnt how academic and emotional wellness go hand in hand. During school, times can get extremely stressful and sometimes we forget to focus on our emotional wellness which can affect our academic wellness. There are many tips to keep yourself emotionally and academically well.
Emotional wellness is defined as “the ability to successfully handle life’s stresses and adapt to change and difficult times”.
Tips for Emotional Wellness:
- Gratitude – it is important to be thankful for everything in our lives. From the smallest to the biggest things.
- Being happy with yourself – it is very important to be proud of yourself and be okay with who you are as a person.
- Reminding yourself of your purpose – It is good to let yourself know why you are here and in the moment of where you are. For example, I let myself know the reason I am here today is because my purpose is to change a small part of society to make it better for the future generations. Your purpose can be anything you want it to be, career, hobby, family or community.
- Learning to manage stress – there are many tips for self-care and managing stress. Some include: exercise, getting support with a health professional, meditate, listen to music, distract yourself with a hobby or interest you have, play a video game or watch a movie.
Academic wellness is being satisfied with your classes and academic performance.
Tips for Academic Wellness:
- Getting help – if you are struggling in school you can use help centres such as the math and stats or the writing centre. You can even get yourself a learning strategist or tutor through Centre for Accessible Learning.
- Preventing burnout – it can get overwhelming with exams, papers, group projects and deadlines. It is important manage the stress as it comes.
- Time management and organization – it is important to make sure you give yourself enough time to meet deadlines and do your homework. I started to use google calendar to organize my schedule and put my daily activities in it. I try my best to give myself enough time, such as taking travel time, eating, giving myself 10-15 minutes relax time between activities. It has really helped me keep up with schedule and less stressed.
- Setting goals – it is important to have goals but making sure the goals are realistic is important. I use to set goals which were unattainable for me, and they would upset my emotions and lead to me struggling in school. But now I make sure I set goals I know I can achieve and are attainable. I have been able to stick the goals and achieving them uplifts my mood.
Hope these tips help you on your journey to achieving emotional and academic wellness. Leave a comment below on which tips you decide to use or tips not mentioned above.
Have a great month everyone!