Join us at the UVic Libraries Digital Scholarship Commons for a public screening of the documentary, “Paywall”. Everyone is welcome. There will be popcorn provided!
A public screening of the movie will be held on:
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Panel discussion to follow the movie until 4:30pm Panelists include:
- Dr. Frank van Veggel, Chemistry
- Dr. Chris Eagle, Math. & Stats.
- Lisa Petrachenko, Associate University Librarian, Research & Collections
- Maxwell Nicholson, Senior Economics Lab Instructor & Undergraduate student
- Alyssa Arbuckle, Ph.D Candidate & Associate Director, ETCL
Where: UVic Libraries, Digital Scholarly Commons
Please register at https://paywall.eventbrite.ca
About the film: Paywall: The Business of Scholarship is a documentary which:
- focuses on the need for open access to research and science
- questions the rationale behind the $25.2 billion a year that flows into for-profit academic publishers
- examines the 35-40% profit margin associated with the top academic publisher Elsevier, and
- looks at how that profit margin is often greater than some of the most profitable tech companies like Apple, Facebook and Google.
Produced and directed by Jason Schmitt, Clarkson University, NY
The film is also available to stream for free here: https://paywallthemovie.com/