Why you should shop local this holiday season
The Holiday Season is in full swing, and if you’re like me, you’ve left your shopping until the last minute in the craziness of exams and the end of the semester. But don’t worry! There’s still time to slow down and be mindful about your shopping, and consider why shopping local is a great idea, like for these reasons:
When you shop local, you’re supporting a stronger community and economy! Take a look at these statistics from LOCO BC:
- Local businesses make up 98% of all BC businesses and produce 34% of BC’s GDP
- They create 4.6 times the economic impact with each dollar earned
- They produce 8 times more jobs and revenue per square foot compared to multinational corporations
- They keep 63% of revenue in BC, compared to 14% for multinationals
- They give 24 times more per dollar of revenue than multinationals
Supporting local means avoiding delayed shipments from online shopping due to flood weather.
When you shop local, you’re buying from real people in the community who could be your neighbours, friends, and peers. Victoria is a small town!
Buying a gift for someone locally means that person is receiving a unique, high-quality, personal gift from you.
It’s not too late to shop locally this holiday season! To find some amazing BC businesses to support, check out these websites and directories that support local BC businesses:
BC Marketplace | Buy local from British Columbian businesses
BC Shop Local Directory
Loco BC: Local Business Directory
Collections – Support Local BC
BC Chamber of Commerce: Member Directory