Where in the World Do UVic Students Come From?
When I was a kid, I absolutely loved the show/computer game Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? I’m pretty sure that show created my future inner trivia buff. So indulge me, if you will, and join in the fun! But instead of chasing a villain across the world, let’s play a different game!
Are you ready to play…
The game is easy! I’m going to ask you some questions about the students here at UVic. See if you can figure out the answer! Check your answers at the bottom of this page.
1. The student population of UVic is just under 22,000. Which Canadian city is just about the same size as UVic by population?
A – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
B – Collingwood, Ontario
C – Canmore, Alberta
2. Our international students come to UVic from all over the world. But just what percentage of the student population is made up of international students?
A – 10%
B – 18%
C – 26%
3. And how many countries do those international students come from?
A – More than 20
B – More than 50
C – More than 100
4. Which country in the world do most of UVic’s international students call home?
A – People’s Republic of China
B – The United States of America
C – The United Kingdom
5. Which faculty has the highest number of international students?
A – Science
B – Social Sciences
C – Engineering
6. The Beach Boys sang a song called Kokomo, which is probably stuck in your head now that I’ve mentioned it (you’re welcome). Which island from the song is home to exactly one UVic student?
A – Aruba
B – Jamaica
C – Bermuda
7. How many undergraduate students do you think call an African nation home (that’s all countries which make up the African continent)?
A – 127
B – 155
C – 182
8. Do you think there are more graduate students, or undergraduate students, who call a Middle Eastern country home?
A – Graduate
B – Undergraduate
C – They are equal
9. About what percentage of international students come from The United States?
A – 40%
B – 27%
C – 8%
10. There are over 38 million people who live in Australia and Oceania combined. How many of those people are students at UVic?
A – 54
B – 34
Check your answers and let me know how you did? Are you a super UVic trivia champ?
Are you an international student who is interested in UVic? Check out International Student Services!
1. B – It’s the grand city of Collingwood! In case you were interested, Collingwood is Canada’s 107th largest city by population.
2. B – About 18%. That means that nearly one in five students at UVic is from a country other than Canada!
3. C – International students come from over 100 countries all around the world!
4. A – We welcome more international students from China than any other country. 你好
5. B – Social sciences hosts the most international students. Law has the least.
6. C – Aruba…Jamaica…ooh I wanna take you to BERMUDA! There is exactly one UVic student who calls Bermuda home!
7. A – 127 students at UVic call one of the 54 countries in Africa home!
8. A – There are a lot fewer graduate students at UVic than undergraduate students, but there are more graduate students from the Middle East than undergraduate students.
9. C – Americans make up only 8% of our international student population! Check out this blog post by Rebecca to learn more about why UVic is the perfect school for those from the good old U.S. of A.!
10. B – A grand total of 34 students come from either Australia or another country in Oceania.