Top 5 Reasons to Attend Orientation
Guest post by Carissa Kocsis and Meghan Thompson
To all the new UVic students – this one’s for you.
You’re about to set off on a remarkable adventure. You’ve chosen to attend the University of Victoria, and you’re on your way to becoming a Vike!
While you prepare for this exciting journey, it’s likely that you’re feeling many of the emotions that often accompany a NEW (Nervousness, Excitement, Worry) experience. Trust me, I felt them too when I first started.
To combat these feelings, UVic has devised a brilliant program that focuses on eliminating your fears and embracing your awesome: UVIC ORIENTATION!
With programs to help you transition into university life, there’s something for everyone at UVic Orientation. Orientation programs are designed to introduce you to campus life and help you feel comfortable in your new environment. They are also a TON of fun.
Here are the top 5 reasons why YOU should attend UVic Orientation:
1. Insta-friends (and insta-grams). UVic Orientation programs give you many opportunities to meet new faces and connect with your classmates! Some people even meet their BEST friends at Orientation.
Plus, Orientation provides many opportunities for you to snag that perfect IG selfie.
2. Take a tour with the Jedis of campus (aka Orientation Leaders). Your Orientation leader is a current UVic student who has stood in your shoes before. Not only are they incredibly helpful, they’re full of great campus tips, too! Chances are, your Orientation Leader definitely knows where to find the best food and napping spots on campus. Learn from their wisdom, young padawan.
3. Save your pennies (UVic Orientation is completely FREE). Free food. Free SWAG. Free fun. Free-kin awesome!
4. Hang out with your Hogwarts House. At UVic Orientation, you’ll have the opportunity to listen to your Faculty Dean speak and meet some of the awesome professors in your department. Not only are they inspiring and insightful, but they’re also great resources! Unfortunately UVic doesn’t have a sorting hat, but they do have a Quidditch club!
5. Meet the legend himself: Thunder! Thunder will be kicking it at many UVic Orientation events, along with the Vikes Nation Ambassadors. They’ve always got something fun up their sleeves, and they want to meet YOU!
Start your university experience off right by taking part in UVic Orientation!
Online registration for orientation programs closes the last week of August.