Bell Let’s Talk: I Pledge
Today is Bell Let’s Talk Day. A day that Bell has committed to donate 0.05 cents to every tweet, share, Snapchat geotag, post, and text/phone call sent.
This initiative is so important to help break the stigmas surrounding mental health. It affects 1 in 5 Canadians, and with statistics this high it touches everyone, whether that be you personally or someone close to you.
Join the movement, continue the conversation, and listen.
Today I Pledge:
- To be open as I can about my own struggles with mental illness in hopes that it encourages others to do the same and reach out for help.
- To work hard to break the stigma, not use types of mental illness as adjectives
- To be available as a listening ear, shoulder to cry on, and source of support for those suffering.
- To listen and be empathetic to those who need support.
- To work on not defining myself by my mental illness.
There are resources at UVic that are at your disposal. There is no shame in getting help, the same way you would treat a broken bone or nasty case of strep throat. It’s important to remember to be gentle and kind to yourself. Put your mental health first, especially when the school work starts to pile up and things feel a little bit darker. I am always here to listen if you want someone to reach out to.