Top 5 Food Hacks in Gordon Head
I’ve got two philosophies about eating out: value & volume. I want the best food at the best price, and I want a lot of it.
I know healthy eating is trending out there, but it doesn’t matter because “girl look at that body, I work out!” LMFAO was hot when I was young, ok? I’m in Miami, *****! Sorry for party rocking, let’s settle down and get to the blog.
Now, some blogs may recommend a good restaurant, but I am going to recommend 5 spots that are legit. I am also going to tell you what to order, because who has time to read a menu these days? Or make a decision by yourself? We are just going to give up our autonomy to technology in the near future, so stop living in the past, Grandpa.
1. Fujiya – Get one spicy tuna and one spicy salmon roll. Make sure to check all the packages for the best rolls. You are looking for a big chunk of fish, equal size sushi, clean cut not sloppy looking, with the right amount of spicy sauce.
2. Maria’s Deli – Pick up at least 2 Portuguese buns, 200g of either calabrese (spicy) or capicoli and 200g of Havarti. Make yourself a sandwich in the parking lot. Think to yourself, “damn that’s good.” As you realize you need to take 2 buses back to UVic because you don’t have a car.
3. Fig Deli – Get the falafel. Then come to the realization that you’re going to crave these things every week. Check out the walnut spread, too! You’ll be glad you did.
4. A&W – OK, I get coupons delivered to my house. I don’t know how I got on the mailing list, but you can’t beat 2 teen burgers or 2 mozzarella burgers for like 6 bucks. Don’t tell me paying 4 times more at Bin 4 is worth it. Because it’s not. There are also coupons for 2 coffees, 2 breakfast sandwiches, and 2 hash browns for $6.50. Find the coupons; don’t pay full price like a rube.
5. Noodlebox – Get the Thai style chow mein, order medium or above if your spice game is tight, show your student card and get a dollar off. I go with chicken and it comes to like 10 bones.
Full disclosure, I have had boxes that are a tsunami of flavor and ones that are bland like boiled potatoes. Last time it was excellent, so I will roll the dice again soon.
Honorable mention: Domino’s – They have a deal until the end of September: $5.99 for a 2 topping medium take out pizza. I literally ate at least 30 pizzas this summer. It’s okay, the limit is like over 250 pies for the deal, so I’m well below the threshold. I usually upgrade to a pan pizza crust for less than a dollar. That’s a veteran’s move. Also, think about going extra cheese for a topping. It may cost a little more, but well worth it.
Obviously, there are other things that are good at these places, so don’t be afraid to mix it up. I’m just trying to give you the hot buys I know of. All these restaurants are very close to Shelbourne Street, so you should have no trouble finding them.
Now, go work off all those calories! Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah!