UVic – an Evolving University
It doesn’t matter if a university is first or second tier. It doesn’t matter how many students they reject, how many students they fail. What matters to me is how the university strives to improve in response to student input. How the institution aims to improve the quality of life and education of their students.
I stepped onto UVic campus for the first time in September, 2011. It was a beautiful day with hundreds of new students moving into residence. Hundreds of new potential friends and study partners. I have been so keen to embrace all the university experiences throughout the last 5 years, and it has been incredible.
Now I am on my verge of graduating after a long 5 years of self-improvement and adventure – I know I have changed and grown substantially, but how has the university evolved?
I have thought about this over the last weeks and came up with a list of major changes that impact the student experience.
- ONECard – This card simplifies student bus pass, coffee cash, money for lunch, access to sports events.
- The Campus Bike Centre – Bikes for everyone! Bike repairs for everyone!
- Grades in Percentage on Transcript – I really appreciate the specificity and transparency in academic evaluation.
- Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (CARSA) – Great resource for athletics (especially climbing). I don’t like the building’s design, though.
- Electronic Course Evaluation Surveys – Hurrah for saving paper. Changing access to technology = changing university.
- Mystic Market – Very-needed upgrade to the University Centre and very nice aesthetic design,
- Personal librarians – Emphasis on personal connection between students and librarians.
- STEHM – This doesn’t really affect the student experience, but it is awesome that UVic has one of the only scanning transmission holography microscopes in the world. Ours is the highest resolution microscope ever built and the only one of its kind in the world.
These are just some of the changes that stood out to me. Check out this list of UVic’s great moments of the 2000s.